« Palin's acceptance speech | Main | Empirical proof of Palin's leadership abilities relative to Barack Obama's »

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Team Obama's response to the political speech of the 21st century

I just heard Brit Hume read aloud the Obama-Biden campaign's response to Gov. Palin's acceptance speech. It went:

George Bush. George Bush. George Bush.

That's not an exact quote, but it's awfully close. I promise you there was no other substance to it at all.

Meantime, I'm very sure I can hear a thin, persistant whine. (It's all the air going out of the Obama balloon.)

Prediction: The smear attempts will return with renewed force and extra desperation before dawn tomorrow. But it's too late.

America has a new sweetheart.

---------------------

UPDATE (Wed Sep 3 @ 11:00pm): Here is the real Obama response. Lemme tell ya, if they can't tell the difference between George W. Bush and Sarah Barracuda, they have bigger problems than I ever suspected.

Posted by Beldar at 10:27 PM in 2008 Election, Obama, Palin, Politics (2008) | Permalink

Other weblog posts, if any, whose authors have linked to Team Obama's response to the political speech of the 21st century and sent a trackback ping are listed here:

» REACTONS. from PrestoPundit

Tracked on Sep 3, 2008 10:50:57 PM

Comments

(1) rfy made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 10:42:13 PM | Permalink

After the press assault of the past few days, Gov. Palin knows that by going aggressive against BHO she is setting the stage for more to come. I think she relishes the campaign to come. And she's just getting started. Going to be a wild two months.

(2) Jon made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 10:43:22 PM | Permalink

It's kind of hard to respond to "MY FAMILY POW" with much, but I think the Bush comparison is pretty accurate. Enjoy your spanking come November!

(3) Charlie made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 11:02:26 PM | Permalink

Jon: I think you need to wake up from your nap. McCain is as close to a Bush clone as Barack is a Hillary clone.

If you want to tell me what you don't like about McCain's positions, tell me. But don't just throw out the "no four more years of Bush line" because that has zero credibility.

(4) slarrow made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 11:11:58 PM | Permalink

I just read the Obama response to my wife. Her response: "they're scared." As well they should be.

Ooooooo...barracuda!

(5) Sav made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 11:16:48 PM | Permalink

John's just trolling in the hopes someone, anyone, goes to his blog.

Good luck with that.

(6) Gregory Koster made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 11:34:08 PM | Permalink

Dear All: Jonathan is witless and obnoxious, but he has the numbers on his side, viz:

Intrade Prediction Markets

Obama as Prez, 2008:

Bid: 59.7

McCain as Prez, 2008:

Bid: 40.5

McC is gaining, no question, but a nineteen point spread is way too big for any kind of comfort. I know it is still September, but McC will have to gain as much every week as he did from this evening's speech, no fallbacks allowed, just to break even. Think he can do it? Don't bother answering me; cruise to Intrade and buy McC contracts. Better still, follow the proprietor's suggestion and send dough to McC.

Sincerely yours,
Gregory Koster

(7) David made the following comment | Sep 3, 2008 11:59:47 PM | Permalink

"America has a new sweetheart."

My Wonder Woman was impressed, and she's nearly as tough a political sell as I am. I was impressed, though not necessarily by the same things as my WW. I'd like to coach her for a week on vocal production (she has a good basic instrument that could be used more effecvtively, IMO--arguments could go the other way, though; she sounds so much like my wife's folks did, and such sounds appeal to lotsa folks as being fondly familiar... ), but her performance was much, much better than any other politician I've heard in recent years, and her personality seemed to come through pretty well--a solid plus.

Heck, even the Huckster, with his Southern Baptist preacher boy roots (and believe me, few SBC preacher boys go as far in that field as the Huckster did w/o being better public speakers than 99.999% of politicians), wasn't anywhere near being in her class for delivery.

And the speech itself. Sure, it showed signs of some heavy professional speechwriting, but she sure placed her own stamp on the thing--even the heavy-handed hagiography of Juan Mexicain came off as genuine. My! That takes some real talent! Still, she was much, much better selling the differences between herself and The Obamassiah.

I'd actually prefer to see her "debate" The Obamassiah than see Juan Mexicain do it. Just the contrast between his own nearly inarticulate, bumbling style of public speaking and her clear, clean communication skills as shown tonight and in the interview with CNBC's Maria Bartiromo the other night alone would spell defeat for The Obamassiah.

In the veep "debate"? The only notice Biden will garner is from the guy who comes in to sweep up the mess Biden leaves on the floor.

(8) James made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 12:00:05 AM | Permalink

Still the POW sales tag.
America needs a sales job for today and tomorrow, yesteryear sells to the party loyal at the convention but this SHOW has pushed swing voters away in droves.
Kiss the election goodbye.

(9) kimsch made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 12:08:04 AM | Permalink

"But she didn't write that speech you know"

Brit Hume said that he had heard that a couple of times. He also noted that no one writes their own speeches, they all have speechwriters.

They have NADA - she has everything.

(10) Sav made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 12:38:43 AM | Permalink

"Kiss the election goodbye."

Whoa, someone's upset that His Holiness got smacked around. But thanks for that analysis, James. It was well thought out and surely laboriously researched.

"But she didn't write that speech you know"

This was apparently the Left's whine of choice well before the speech. I've seen it on hack blogs before the Governor took the stage.

(11) JPR made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 1:31:59 AM | Permalink

Does he replace Biden with Clinton?

(12) Beldar made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 1:42:14 AM | Permalink

JPR, that's funny, but hmmmm-funny rather than hah-hah!-funny.

Ann Althouse asked for comments on the speech on her blog, and I wrote:

First-inning grand-slam.

By the vice presidential debate, they may have Biden fake illness, give her an intentional walk. She's going to kill them at every single at-bat.

She graciously added my comment as an update to her original post, and then wrote:

Well, speaking of fake illness, maybe Biden is so ill, he needs to step down. You know, he's reminds me so much of Eagleton. (Just reversing that idiotically insincere Eagleton meme.)

My serious answer to your question is, "I don't think The One's ego will permit him to do that." But then, I — like Hillary and all the other Democratic contenders — underestimated his ruthlessness for a long time. She clearly would have been the strongest running mate for him, at the price of polarizing the electorate and putting his actual administration at risk. (Plus it's likely the Secret Service would eventually run out of agents willing to taste-test his food after they lost four or five that way.) But ... would he be ruthless enough, and flexible enough, to do that?

I don't think so, but ... As Giuliani said in his keynote tonight, "If I were Joe Biden, I'd get that promise in writing."

(13) JPR made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 2:04:04 AM | Permalink

Beldar,

My wife gets the credit for identiying the risk to Biden. (I'm lucky to have found another amazing woman with great instincts.) I would go further and wonder if Biden's Senate seat could come into play.

A few other thoughts:

1. I really wish we could have seen more of Jindal. He was very impressive during the Gustav response press conference.

2. I'm a little worried that O'Reilly will be too soft on Obama tonight.

(14) PowerPro made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 2:46:36 AM | Permalink

"The smear attempts will return with renewed force and extra desperation before dawn tomorrow."

Oh no question. But we're at a point now that unless they air verifiable video footage of Palin in the act of committing some heinous deed, I'm not really going to be moved to automatically accept the smears as truth.

The media has ZERO credibility right now.

(15) Jim Treacher made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 3:30:36 AM | Permalink

O-Bawl-Ma.

"He also noted that no one writes their own speeches, they all have speechwriters."

Or, in Biden's case...

(16) PowerPro made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 3:36:06 AM | Permalink

From Noah Pollak at CommentaryMagazine.com: “Obama’s spokesman just rebutted Palin by saying that George Bush’s former speechwriter wrote the speech. That’s a good way to ensure the total irrelevance of your statement. Palin: Obama is unfit to lead. Obama: I don’t approve of your speechwriter.“

(17) Jeff made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 6:39:20 AM | Permalink

Intrade is being manipulated by Soros. With his money it is easy to skew the numbers in any direction. It is nothing more than a betting line, it is not a poll of any kind.

(18) Gregory Koster made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 8:25:08 AM | Permalink

Dear Jeff: Do you have any evidence that Soros or any other sinistrosphere financier is manipulating the prediction markets? Otherwise, you are just a 9/11 Truther turned inside out. As for being a betting line, that's just what makes it impressive. Backing your opinions with your money is always more convincing than just bawling. As to trusting polls v. the prediction markets, you might be right---if polls were conducted in a transparent way. What do any of us suckers know what questions were asked, or what voters were polled, in what tone of voice, with what 'aberrant' results thrown out? Finally: if you are right, here's your chance to make a killing. Tell us: are you going to buy the McC contracts that Soros has manipulated to be undervalued? No need to work anymore if you are right. Riches await. Jeff? Jeff?...He's gone away. Too bad.

I reiterate: Palin was not my first choice, if for no other reason than the press's hostility. But I think she is qualified to be veep, and has the same chance Harry Truman did of replacing the top of the ticket successfully. One BIG danger is using the press's hostility as proof that the nomination of Palin seals the election for the GOP. The GOP has a dam big gap to overcome, the election "fundamentals" and "technical" picture (in the stock market sense) are against them, and The One is a formidable candidate. For a rookie to have edged out a win against Billary is no small feat. Palin's nomination is a help to the GOP, but it's a dam long road ahead, and every GOPer better get going if they want to get the ticket home.

Sincerely yours,
Gregory Koster

(19) fred lapides made the following comment | Sep 4, 2008 8:51:51 AM | Permalink

My guess is that we have yet to get the full story on this new "star." I expect we will find much more about her within the month,and we discover will unmask the family values stuff for sure.
That said: I believe in a woman's right to choose. She does not. i believe in separation of church and state. She does not. I believe in free choice at libraries; she tried to bann books as mayor...and on and on. so clearly she is not my choice.

But this is what is being missed: the Republican party has consisted of two olarge groups: social conservatives and fiscal conservatives. The fiscal gang just lost out under Bush and they are moving now to the social conservatives...

there is therefore a colear choice and you the voter can decide.