« Just tell me when I can get in line for tickets to attend the trial: Rather v. CBS | Main | A cheer for Sen. Cornyn for sponsoring Senate resolution condemning MoveOn.org's "Gen. Betray-Us" ad »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Civic literacy quiz

As they used to say (do they still?) about the S.A.T., with this quiz (h/t Mona Charen on NRO's The Corner, here and here, from a New York Sun article) you sometimes you have to pick the answer that is "least wrong" — which always struck me as an easy excuse for imprecise question writing, rather than a virtue.

I can, however, humbly suggest to the National Review one possible new addition to The Corner who has slightly surpassed the scores posted by a couple of its impressive current contributors.

Posted by Beldar at 09:28 PM in Current Affairs | Permalink

Other weblog posts, if any, whose authors have linked to Civic literacy quiz and sent a trackback ping are listed here:

Comments

(1) nk made the following comment | Sep 19, 2007 9:59:08 PM | Permalink

Ahem, Beldar. The quiz told me that I got #41 wrong because the major powers in the Cold War were not the U.S. and the U.S.S.R -- they were the U.S. and Poland.

(2) Beldar made the following comment | Sep 19, 2007 10:03:29 PM | Permalink

Dunno, nk, I said the USSR and it scored me as having gotten that one right. Software glitch?

(3) John Cunningham made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 6:26:19 AM | Permalink

Nice score, Beldar. I got a 59 of 60 also, whiffed on the sale of bonds by the Fed reserve.

(4) craig mclaughlin made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 7:12:33 AM | Permalink

Reminds me of the part in Evelyn Waugh's "Scoop" where Lord Copper and his prize winning war correspondent part ways over a dispute about the date of the battle of Hastings. Later the Lord tells his managing editor, (parahrasing) "I was right, it WAS 1066. I looked it up."

So you're over qualified for journalism, Beldar.

(5) Brad S made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 10:12:59 AM | Permalink

I missed #58, the bond question, too (along with three others that I dare not mention!).

I think our problem was that we got the "crowding out" theory of government borrowing drilled into our heads, and the results stuck.

(6) john made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 11:02:16 AM | Permalink

I got 58 out of 60, missed 19 and 36 (I elimated 3 wrong answers in both, but made the wrong call on the remaining two).

But I did get the bond question correct (partly because the NRO folks had said it was so hard).

(7) Roger made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 3:46:37 PM | Permalink

Great quiz (58/60) Covers what I would consider very important concepts and history that do make for an informed American. Would love to see how various blog readerships do on this; eg, this blog versus, say, dailykos (nahhhhh-fish in a barrel).

(8) Kent made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 7:07:49 PM | Permalink

I missed two. Blew the bond question that everyone else seems to be blowing, and I put Jamestown a bit too early.

(9) John Cunningham made the following comment | Sep 20, 2007 7:57:53 PM | Permalink

The Jamestown puzzled me a bit, til I realized that the Roanoke settlement which died out was 1587 ["gone to Croatan"] while Jamestown was 1607.

(10) stan made the following comment | Sep 21, 2007 6:42:05 AM | Permalink

Econ major helps on the bond question.

I think the questions were very poorly written. I think the drafters ought to be ashamed to have such work paraded around the internet, especially in a release which criticizes the performance of students.

(11) Linus made the following comment | Sep 21, 2007 5:35:08 PM | Permalink

I missed five, 4 of which came in the last ten questions. At least I know now which area of my knowledge is lacking (econ, ancient Greek history).

(12) anon made the following comment | Sep 27, 2007 3:06:25 AM | Permalink

hey Rog

can't speak for other readers but I'm a moderately liberal frequenter of, ok, not DailyKos, but Matt Yglesias, Atrios, and Josh Marshall's blogs...32 yrs old, lawyer, yadda yadda...

and I got all 60 right. Including the bond question, though I admit I educatedly guessed on that one. Anytime you're feeling up to it, you can quit thinking that conservatives are all somehow smarter than the rest of us...

(13) Milhouse made the following comment | Oct 2, 2007 10:54:28 AM | Permalink

OK, what does it say that I got 60 out of 60 (though a few were not much more than guesses, or "least wrong" answers).