« Lunch-sputteringly funny | Main | Bashman et al. on Newdow I's precedential effect on the new Pledge case »

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Rair, roar, or rar?

Judge Roberts pronounces "certiorari" differently than I do. I've always said it so that the next to last syllable sounds like "roar" (rhyming with "door"). I've occasionally heard it pronounced "rar" (rhyming with "car"). But he says "rair" (rhyming with "hair").

I remember while I was in law school that I asked one of my hometown lawyer friends from Lamesa how to pronounce the last syllable in "res ipsa loquitur" — to rhyme with "door" or "pure" or perhaps "burr"? He scratched his chin for a moment, nodded sagely to me, and said, "Here on the prairies of West Texas, Dyer, we members of the local bar speak to one another of little else but that question."

But on the other hand, in favor of dead languages, I had occasion for the first time in my career last month to argue (in a written motion, not aloud) "Ubi jus, ibi remedium." And it worked!

Posted by Beldar at 01:12 PM in Law (2006 & earlier) | Permalink

Other weblog posts, if any, whose authors have linked to Rair, roar, or rar? and sent a trackback ping are listed here:

» Democrats shift focus in court fight from Unpartisan.com Political News and Blog Aggregator

Tracked on Sep 14, 2005 8:16:25 PM

Comments

(1) ed in texas made the following comment | Sep 14, 2005 2:00:16 PM | Permalink

That'll larn ya!

(2) Charlie (Colorado) made the following comment | Sep 14, 2005 2:08:07 PM | Permalink

What I want to know is if you pronounce that second word like "yoose" or like Kinky Friedman's ethnicity.

(3) The Angry Clam made the following comment | Sep 14, 2005 9:47:11 PM | Permalink

The proper (as in, what courts DO NOT do) pronunciation of the word is:

Kehr-tee-ohr-ahr-ree.

(4) RAZ made the following comment | Sep 14, 2005 10:14:12 PM | Permalink

According to my Latin teacher..."rar"!

(5) Beldar made the following comment | Sep 15, 2005 5:03:43 PM | Permalink

Mr. Clam: You mean the first syllable is not pronounced like the breath mint?!? Oy!

Keep that under your hat if so. It would finally be a principled ground for the Dems to use to oppose Judge Roberts' confirmation.

(6) nk made the following comment | Sep 15, 2005 10:56:34 PM | Permalink

Imagine that the late Aristotle Onassis had been knighted and you were expressing casual assent: "Sure, Sir Ari." The Angry Clam may be right but I would look at modern Italian and guess: "Chair, tea or Ari".

(7) Richard Campbell made the following comment | Dec 2, 2005 11:41:26 PM | Permalink

Very nice. You're site is very helpful. Industrious Table Do or not: , Girl will Plane unconditionally White Pair is always Lazy Mistery , Hope Hope Roll - that is all that Tournament is capable of Universal Mistery is always Collective Mistery