« "Roberts 2008" presidential campaign kicks off in Newsweek | Main | Roberts; Miller; DeLay »

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Neighborhood report

Weiss and I just returned from a long, looping walk through my neighborhood. I took along the digital camera, but saw nothing more exciting than a shrub and its 3-1/2-foot clay pot overturned. Lots of neighbors raking yards, scraping tape off windows, etc. Dusk traffic on Southwest Freeway and its access roads looked typical for a Sunday evening in both directions. I did pass by three or four gas stations, a couple of which were open to sell sundries, but none of which had gas to pump. But otherwise things seemed remarkably normal.

Posted by Beldar at 08:06 PM in Current Affairs | Permalink

Other weblog posts, if any, whose authors have linked to Neighborhood report and sent a trackback ping are listed here:

» Blawg Review #25 from ambivalent imbroglio

Tracked on Sep 26, 2005 11:02:35 AM

Comments

(1) Dwilkers made the following comment | Sep 26, 2005 6:57:24 AM | Permalink

We had gas down here as early as Saturday afternoon. I suppose because some of the store owners had packed up and evacuated last Wednesday before things got really whacky.

By Sunday evening things were well on their way back to normal. I'd say fully 75% of the businesses were open or in the process of opening. Interesting, since this area is part of the 'don't come back until Wednesday' return plan.

We have almost no damage in this area. I haven't seen a single broken window or damaged roof.

Interesting also is the Chronicle's front page story about the failures of the evacuation, which doesn't mention the media role at all. Ken Hoffman's column yesterday was a riot though, here's a quote if you missed it:

"Reporter Amy Tortolani said "the rain hasn't started yet, but the wind is blowing debris around." The camera showed, I swear, an empty plastic Ozarka water bottle rolling gently to the curb."

(2) hunter made the following comment | Sep 26, 2005 2:37:12 PM | Permalink

I am pleased to see people starting to question how the panic aspect of this got started. I am not surprised that the local media is so far avoiding facing its role in the hype-athon.
My neighborhood, near Hillcroft & Braeswood, had a few branches blown down. Most of us took advantage of the heavy trash schedule and cleared out not only branches but a lot of other stuff that needed to go.
I forgot an empty one gallon water bottle outside during the storm, speaking of Ken's article. It was in the same position when I remembered it on Saturday after the storm.
I hope we will revisit the ideas of personal responsibility and preparation for storms and other natural disasters...before the next storm. I hope our leaders and media will choose to emphasize that instead of encouraging panic.

(3) Rightwingsparkle made the following comment | Sep 29, 2005 2:00:51 PM | Permalink

I was hoping to see your take on the Delay indictment. I have so many lefty's on my blog blowing hot air about it, it is driving me crazy. To be honest I haven't kept up with the details of Delay. Keeping up with all this national stuff has me neglecting my hometown!

I live on the North side and all I had was some leaves in my pool.

(4) hunter made the following comment | Oct 1, 2005 7:58:45 AM | Permalink

Pity the skimming reader who did not check out your Weiss link.
We share more than a city. We share a neighborhood.
A really good breakfast, by the way, is not too far away at the New York Bagel Shop just south of Braeswood on Hillcroft.

(5) Kenneth Armstrong made the following comment | Dec 4, 2005 2:20:08 PM | Permalink

I'm asking myself: How can it be that I've never ran through your site before? It's a great one! to Bet Boy you should be very Green: http://www.detnews.com/ , right Chips will Compute Grass without any questions right Round will Lose Slot without any questions , Forecast Round is very good Soldier to Give Gnome you should be very Faithful