« Executing criminals who couldn't legally buy a drink when they committed their capital crimes | Main | Beldar to FEC: Bring It On! »

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Two Yalies pay tribute to Jackie Robinson

On tonight's PBS News Hour, I just watched two Yalies, tall men in good suits, speaking about Jackie Robinson. As described elsewhere:

Bush and Kerry ... shared the same stage at a U.S. Capitol ceremony honoring Robinson, who broke Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947 by becoming the first black player in baseball's modern era. He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest award Congress can give.

Both men spoke eloquently in the short video clip I saw, but only one man used short sentences and plain, powerful words. One seemed to me to have a special gleam in his eyes that bespoke an involvement with and passion for baseball and its heroes. The other seemed to me to be reading a prepared text in that sonorous, somnorific drone we all came to know so well last year.

As the ceremony ended, the man who sounded less like a stereotypical Yalie was standing by Jackie Robinson's widow, applauding with the crowd. He spotted someone in the audience, made eye contact, nodded toward a back exit, and clearly mouthed the words, "You wanna ride?"

One of these men paid tribute from the heart to an American hero, and his ego and personality are completely compatible with thinking of someone else's convenience (could have been Laura's, could have been some aide's, I dunno) despite his high office, weighty responsibilities, and busy schedule. The other man showed up for a photo op, and will be forever associated with the phrases "Do you know who I am?" and "That son-of-a-bitch ran into me!"

I've been thinking I ought to update my banner image at the top of this page, just because it's been there since before these two men squared off in the November election. But I think I'll leave it there a while longer.

Posted by Beldar at 06:50 PM in Politics (2006 & earlier), Sports | Permalink

Other weblog posts, if any, whose authors have linked to Two Yalies pay tribute to Jackie Robinson and sent a trackback ping are listed here:

Comments

(1) Dennis made the following comment | Mar 2, 2005 8:22:45 PM | Permalink

Banner image;good. Photo op man;bad.

(2) LazyMF made the following comment | Mar 2, 2005 10:37:33 PM | Permalink

C'mon, both of them were there for photo-ops and publicity. Also, Jaclie Robinson is beloved by Republicans. He shilled for Richard Nixon shortly before his death.

I didn't read any articles about this happening, but I wonder why they are honoring him now. He died over 30 years ago. He was enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame over 40 years ago, and the 50th anniversary of his breaking the color barrier passed in 1997. What gives? Why the ceremony in the Capitol?

(3) Steven Jens made the following comment | Mar 3, 2005 8:35:16 AM | Permalink

What about the phrase, "I actually voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it"?

The other day, Colby Cosh linked to an interesting and short story about the white guy who integrated the West Texas Colored League.

(4) SemiPundit made the following comment | Mar 3, 2005 11:10:44 AM | Permalink

Wasn't that Guckert that Bush spotted in the crowd?

(5) dave s made the following comment | Mar 3, 2005 11:44:39 AM | Permalink

Bush is only 5'10" and has twice beaten men substantially taller than he for the Presidency. Most Presidential contests have gone to the taller man.

He is, however, taller than Ann Richards. You think that's why he won?

(6) Bucky Katt made the following comment | Mar 4, 2005 7:40:33 AM | Permalink

Hmmmm...if this spamming keeps up you may want to consider comment registration, unfortunately. Only takes one bad apple...

(7) Beldar made the following comment | Mar 5, 2005 12:06:52 AM | Permalink

Bucky, when/if TypePad imports their TypeKey product, I'll probably start using it. In the meantime, spam (like the comment you referenced, which I've since deleted), is the bane of my blogging existence. There are lots more than one bad apple out there.